Sunday, March 4, 2012

And They're Off ...

The Favorite Classic Movie Actress Tournament is up and running here at the Monkey (a couple of hours early). Round One's Monday-thru-Wednesday match-ups are as follows:

"They Had Faces"
Greta Garbo v. Anna May Wong

Mary Pickford v. Janet Gaynor

Lillian Gish v. Gloria Swanson

Clara Bow v. Louise Brooks


"Tough Broads and Pre-Code Babes"
Barbara Stanwyck v. Miriam Hopkins

Marlene Dietrich v. Elsa Lanchester

Joan Crawford v. Norma Shearer

Claudette Colbert v. Mary Astor

Click on the highlighted links to learn more about the actresses involved.

The polls are along the right hand side of the page. To vote in the 1940, 1950 and 1960 brackets, scroll back up to the top of the page and click on the link.

You have until Wednesday evening to cast your vote.

10 comments:

monty said...

Made my votes. Love how you had the competing women combined to make one cool photo. Nice touch!

Jandy said...

Am I allowed to comment on standings thus far (as indicated after I vote)? Some interesting match-ups already.

Mythical Monkey said...

Am I allowed to comment on standings thus far (as indicated after I vote)?

Please do!

Erik Beck said...

I would have voted for Astor anyway, but there was no way I was voting for Colbert after you posted the picture with her as Cleopatra - her worst performance and one of the worst films ever nominated for Best Picture.

And my love for Norma Shearer is overrun by all of you who love a bitchy diva. The bitchy diva.

Jandy said...

Okay, cool. I wasn't sure if you were trying to keep things "pure" of commentary until after the results were posted.

First of, Gloria Swanson is beating Lillian Gish? Argh. Gish is MAGICAL.

It's interesting to see Pickford and Gaynor pacing each other. They're both solid, though - kind of a tough choice.

Mythical Monkey said...

I voted for Gish and Astor myself -- two of my favorites.

I agree that Cleopatra is a lousy movie. My choice of that picture may have been a subconscious attempt to undercut Claudette Colbert ...

Beveridge D. Spenser said...

Cleopatra a bad movie? Hello, milk bath scene? Oh well, I gave it to Colbert for Midnight, a movie Astor barely registers in.

Mythical Monkey said...

You know, I looked it up to be sure -- the milk bath scene is actually in The Sign of the Cross. She plays another empress and wears a toga though. It's largely interchangeable.

For those of you who want to see the famous pre-Code milk bath scene, click here.

Yvette said...

I voted too, M.M. :)

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Would just like to say: "What monty said."

This is one of the coolest elections ever.